Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Oh, Danny Boy!

I've now been to Ireland twice in the past week.  The first was a layover in Dublin, about 5 hours of waiting airport style.  Not really how I wanted to my first experience in Ireland to turn out.  Not to worry though, the second trip made up for the first!  The past week has been but a blur of bus tours, 40 shades of green, cathedrals and the occasional leprachaun sighting (no, really).  My first stop was Dublin, probably most famous for Temple Bar, the Guinness Storehouse and Jameson Distillary.  Besides the lively atmosphere and traditional Irish music of Temple Bar and the fame of the other two, I much prefered day trips to St. Patricks Cathedral, with it's endless spires and stained-glass windows.  Or possibly even my visit to University College Dublin, seeing the Book of Kells first hand and glimpsing the university life for a Dubliner.  Equally as interesting and much more relaxing was St. Stephens Green, a park built in the center of the city to ease the minds and days of its bustling citizens.  A quick stop at the lake will calm ones soul instantly. 

As my host, I stayed with a couple of Venezuelans whose flat was only 2 houses down from the late great George Bernard Shaw house.  As far as hosts go, I couldn't have asked for more.  They showed me around town, cooked for me, spoke plenty of Spanish with me and introduced me to many of their wonderful friends.  There's nothing better than getting to participate in the lives of others, especially when one doesn't know the home culture and could use a little connection :)  

Well, obviously I didn't stop in Dublin, but as I'm sitting in Munich, Germany, my current host is shortly anticipating me for an evening festival, camping tonight and a day of hiking around a Bavarian lake and mountainside tomorrow, so I must go.  More to come.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dan, I am truly loving your blog. Keep writing! Bethany, Eileen and I will commonly reference it in conversations with one another. I think its our way of coping with the fact that you're not here. We miss you. Hope your having a great time! - Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan, just enjoyed getting caught up on your travels. Sounds amazing! Adam started his first day of school today. When do you begin? We'll keep checking the blog to find out more. We love you. Keep having fun! ~Becca, for the family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you realize the Queen is looking for a gardener for her castle estate in Scotland? That could really beef up your "most interesting man in the world" persona. You are missed in the office. Hope you are having a terrific experience! God Bless! - Heather Foster

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments all! I definitely miss everyone back home, but true to all expectations, I'm having a great time. I start up on the 19th with classes Becca, very soon! I'm excited about it.
    Heather, I hadn't realized that such a stately position would be opening...might look good on a resume :)

    ReplyDelete