Monday, October 17, 2011

TIS!!!

A month is a long time. A long time to experience. A long time to explain. A long time for me to update. It's also a short time for those same reasons. So, I'll try in a short time to summarize the happenings of a long time.

First things first, school has begun! Not only has it begun, I'm already halfway through my first semester of overly academic reading and plenty of intense discussion. Its somewhat odd to think that a mere three months ago I was sitting at my desk in an office imagining the inherent freedoms of a relaxed study schedule unfettered by the constraints the 40-hour work week. Well, I may have been a bit presumptive in that assessment of higher education! Not only is the work time intensive, but mentally exhausting as well.

That being said, I'm thrilled to be sitting in a library using my blog as an excuse for ignoring Sociological Forensics and it's drab companions. In fact, I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, maybe I'd have it with sunshine rather than rain, but hey, TIS (This Is Scotland)! Aside from the studies, loads has been going on. If I've never mentioned it before, Scotland is BEAUTIFUL! Hiking, camping, castles and culture, four of my favorite things all combined in one little green space called home. Though I've not officially played the role of tourist in Edinburgh, I've enjoyed being a spectator of tourism. Soon, though, I'll venture into the palace and castle that I can currently see out the window and that are visited by nearly every foreigner that trod the streets of this city.

I did have the chance to visit St.Andrews, with it's ancient university and original golf course (no, didnt get to play a round as it's reserved for slightly more important people than myself). If you don't like the hustle and bustle of the little-big city of Edinburgh, then this provides a quaint alternative. In fact, the town is better described as a few homes and businesses built amongst a university, providing for a culture somewhat unique to Scotland. Rather than tourism, academia is it's primary source of influence and economy. After a few woodland hikes and a tour around the bayside town, I managed my way back to the train and home to Edinburgh.

Last weekend provided for another similar adventure, only to the town of Pitlochry in the self-described highlands of central Scotland, though I might call them the midlands as they didn't quite fit the magnanimous bill of the highland peaks. After meeting with one of my closest friends who studies at the university of St. Andrews, we started hiking, arriving to a soaking wet campground in the middle of the woods. Once we'd set up camp at the caravan park, we managed to find the most splendid sight our eyes could see....a spectacular restaurant/pub that would keep us out of the rain! After a dinner of steak pies, we started yapping it up with a few people at the table next to us, who an hour and a half later invited us to their caravan for further discussion. The two middle-aged couples were fantastically scottish, through and through, one of them originally from Pitlochry even. After a drab of single-malt (cant refuse a local tradition after all) we continued the night of conversation, exchanging stories and learning more and more about the scottish way of life. I can't imagine a more lovely night. The rest of the weekend brought 14th century castles, beautiful hikes and quaint villages, but my most cherished of memories will be of the human kind, Scots who were willing to share their time, home and a peice of their lives.

So that quite linear rant nearly brings me up to date. I know I've been pretty rotten at posting, but absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? Assuming all of your hearts are frustratingly fond at this point, I'll do my best to be a bit more consistent in the blog. Adios for now.

3 comments:

  1. DAN!!!! Paul & Erin Korson are sitting on our couch right now, and we all just read your blog together. We miss you and we love you!! Your stories are incredible. Keep up the great work in your studies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O tidings of comfort, dandroid...in my mind that is a bit clever, but I realize you have to be singing the Christmas song in your head to get it and, as I have learned over the years, if you have to explain it in great detail...it is not so clever :-) Hope you are doing well and that you will have a wonderful Christmas! God Bless Ye! -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adam and Becca! Miss you and love you as well. I hope that all is great for yall in China. I think of you guys quite often actually, I've got lots of chinese students in my program so I'm constantly reminded of you and your adventures as well.

    Heather, I sang that in my head as well, so it makes sense to me now :) Christmas was great, spent with a cousin and his wife in scotland and barcelona. Good times. God bless ye as well!

    ReplyDelete