Sunday, August 14, 2011

Touchdown!

To inaugurate the commencement of the football season, I decided to touchdown in Scotland today! As I flew over the flauntingly green tree-lined pastures and mountains of central Scotland, I looked down to this beautiful country that I now call home. And just to dispel a dastardly rumor that the Loch Ness monster doesn't exist, in mid flight I spotted Nessie with my own two eyes, churning the waters of the turgid lake. Or maybe with my own two minds eyes. Either way, as the poor-mans Gandalf once said, "of course it's happening inside your head (Dan), but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" I'm just going to keep believing she exists until someone proves it otherwise (can you prove a lack of existence of anything?).
I spent the first few hours of my time in Edinburgh with Iain and Kate Keter, my host Rotarians for the year. They were gracious enough to come to the airport to pick me up, sign and all, and take me out for my first meal in country. After we supped heartily on Burger King (funny first meal right!), they dropped me off at my flat where I chatted with my new roommate, Amir, for a while before heading out on the town. August is a big month for Edinburgh festivals, of which I noticed around 6 different ones during my 2 hour walk downtown. The main festival, called Fringe Festival, is an eclectic collision of art and performance, with thousands of street performers, comedians and artists lining the ancient corridors of downtown edinburgh. I'm thoroughly excited to get out tomorrow and spend some time witnessing this massive city performance a bit more.
On a quick side note, my flat is beautiful and everything that I need; big bedroom, spacious kitchen and living area, within walking distance of the school but not too close, great roommate. Should be a good fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment